Seeking Him



 “Early in the morning will I seek Thee, dear Lord,
Yes, early in the morning I will bend at Thy Word;
I feast on the riches of all Thy great promises;
I feed on sweet manna from Thy holy Word.”

When I was just a third grader, my mother wrote these words.  Ever since I can remember, she has lived them.  Before my brothers and sisters and I would leave for school each morning or before we would go out to the barn for farm chores in the summer time, we would see Mom at the kitchen table, her Bible and devotional notebooks spread before her, gaining sustenance from God’s Word.  By the sink, Mom would often post verses, written out from her morning devotions, clothes-pinned to a picture frame or dowel, with some of God’s Word there to meditate upon.  The Bible frequently entered her conversation with us.  “I was reading…” she would begin and then explain some truth the Holy Spirit had illuminated for her that day.  
My mother continues her morning journey with God each day.  In fact, one elderly woman in our church, 86 to be exact, recently said of my mother, “I’ve never met a sweeter person in all my life.”  Could it be that some of the sweetness from the Savior has seeped into her life as she has spent time seeking Him each day?
Where does your Bible reading take you today?  Labor to learn all God has for you, considering the Lord's command to Joshua in the first chapter of that book:  “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”  
What special promises are connected to embracing this command!  While none of us is leading a nation, as was Joshua, we do have others looking to us for direction, whether they be the sweet, upturned faces of little children, the crying screams of a baby in a crib, the eager faces of students we are seeking to teach, or just that young girl who looks up to us—we have our followers.  Let us, therefore, seek God in His Word, meditate upon His book, and watch those words transform our lives!

Comments