The Same but Different

When I made my first overseas trip the summer before my senior year of college, I fell in love with Europe.  My stay in Hungary lasted six weeks, but what an adventure it was!

From writing puppet scripts and accompanying for church services, to caring for children in the nursery and assisting in food preparation for a funeral—all aspects of the church work captured my heart.  I longed to return to the mission field sometime in the future.  

A puppet show for a VBS in Spain (visited 2004)

One particular evening, we visited an elderly farmer in a far-off village, where the sunflowers stood in rows in a field, their heads upturned in the sunlight.  He showed us about his immaculate farm and served us sandwiches made from the ham he had cured himself while the missionary shared with him the Gospel for yet another time.

I visited the missionary children’s school and sat in a few classes, explaining to the teacher that I was majoring in education in college.  And every afternoon I practiced the piano.  That had been the agreement if I was to go, for my senior recital was coming up the following spring and I must be ready for the big event.

On a sweltering June evening, I gave a piano concert in the missionaries’ home.  The lights of the city glistened in the distance and chairs clustered about the packed living room as guests from the church and neighbors became my audience. 

Taken in Spain, 2004

Soon it was time for me to leave, but I felt the stay there had changed me a bit.  I had been away in a different land, apart from family and friends and all I knew, in a culture where most people spoke a language I didn’t understand.  I had been immersed in this place and now would return home.  Back to the farm, to the fields, to the routine of my summer.  Back to my piano teaching and the children in my Sunday School class whom I could teach in a language they understood.

But I would always treasure up this time in my heart and my longing to travel would never depart. 

Meeting believers around the globe, seeing that Christ is real in all corners of this planet is something I deeply cherish.  Now, having traveled to Europe, Africa, and Asia multiple times, I have found that, above all sightseeing and global adventures—it is my time with believers that I enjoy the most. 

They are the same everywhere—just different.

Summer 2017.  My husband and I are on a three-week anniversary trip in Italy.  We hustle across the ever-busy streets in Naples, cars blasting their horns and not slowing a bit for pedestrians.  We’re headed to the museum at the end of the street.  “Gelato?” he asks with a wink, as we pass yet another stand.  We’ve come to believe gelato beats ice cream.  Its rich, silky texture.  The variety of flavors.  So with one dark chocolate and one mulberry scoop, our cone arrives.  As usual, it doesn’t disappoint.

Mt. Vesuvius

When we walk about the museum, I wonder at the dozens of glass vases on display and imagine the homes wrecked by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.  Each artifact holds its own story.  Marveling at the exquisite detail on one particular drinking glass, I consider the family to whom it once belonged.  How it has survived and lives today to tell its story, and yet those individuals with eternal souls have long since passed from the earth.

What grandeur the streets of Rome represent!  Passing a toppled column in the warm August evening, gazing upon massive chronicles etched in stone (such as Hadrian’s Column), wondering at the achievements and architecture that have lasted for centuries—these marked our daily routine.  One of thousands of tourists, we board buses, embark on trains, and frequently hear American accents of all varieties wherever we go.

But what reaches my heart more than any historic amazement are the two quiet days we spend with a missionary family in the Tuscany region.  Their veranda illuminated by lanterns, we enjoy pasta into the evening, spoiled by an excellent cook of a missionary wife.  And then, my husband was able to preach for a Sunday service and an evening Bible study.  Brother Larry was known about the countryside as a man who took the Gospel wherever he went.

A dozen churches with Nigerian converts dotted the perimeter of Brother Larry’s mission field.  What a joy to travel with this dear brother down the lanes of one small village and hear one African after another stop him to say, “Brother Larry!”  as he began conversation, reminding that soul about the Lord.  It seemed not a moment passed in which he was not aware of the souls about him.  As my husband and I left him at the train station, we waved; but Brother Larry was already engaged in yet another conversation, speaking on the platform to two women, giving them the Gospel.

This bond that knits believers together stands as a beautiful thing, one prayed for by Jesus in John 17, a passage I read just a few days ago.  Perhaps my favorite part of that prayer is contained in verses 20-21, which read,

“Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”

I find particularly amazing that, just hours before He was led away to be crucified, Jesus found time to pray for me!  In fact, he prayed for every believer alive today.  And, because Jesus’ prayers are always answered, there is a sense in which all believers, regardless of differences, are one.  The Holy Spirit, referred to as the "earnest of our inheritance" (Eph. 1:14) unites us to the Son.  What a precious bond we share because of Christ!

This bond uniting all who truly love our Lord Jesus is something the world can see.  There’s a difference in the ones who know Christ.  And some day, in Heaven, every tongue, nation, and people group will sing the praises of the glorious King of Kings. 

Today, we sing in various places on the planet.  Then, face-to-face. 

There, we will be the same—but different.

For at last we will see Him as He is and be conformed perfectly to Him.

Let us rejoice in our Jesus, who prayed the same for every believing one.

Comments